Well, you guys, I have found the perfect rainy day soup.
Rainy days (like earlier today) call for something soothing that you can just curl up with, under some blankets with little puppies curled up at your side, you know?
This Turkey Kale Brown rice soup is perfect! It's hearty but not heavy, healthy, so delicious and EASY to make.
This recipe is from Feel Good Food, and I have only made it once but I am in love! I would probably make a couple of adjustments however, which I'll include in brackets.
Turkey, Kale and Brown Rice Soup. You'll Need;
- Olive oil (I used grape seed)
- 5 shallots (I used 1 onion), chopped fine
- 3 medium Carrots, chopped
- 1 Red bell Pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces ground turkey meat (I will try this with turkey sausage next time and compare!)
- 1 Tbsp Herbes de Provence (these people in Provence know what they are doing!)
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can of diced tomato, drained
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice (I want to try this with quinoa)
- Kale -about 4 cups packed
Parsley and Parmesan are optional as toppers - but I definitely recommend! This will make about 4-6 servings.
- Heat the oil over medium-high in a pot or dutch oven. Add the Shallots (or onion), carrots and bell pepper and sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add the turkey until it turns white and begins to brown around edges 5-7 minutes.
- Add the Herbes de Provence and stir for 1 minute
- Add the broth, tomatoes and cooked rice and bring to a boil. Stir in the Kale and season with salt (about 3/4 teaspoon) and 1/2 teaspoon Pepper. Reduce to medium low.
- Cover & simmer until vegetables are tender-about 15 minutes. Season with another 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Ladle into bowls and add parsley and parmesan, enjoy!
Have a warm and cozy day, xo