Whenever I want to try a "healthy" dish option, there is no better judge than the hubs. He is EXTREMELY honest about my cooking, which I appreciate. It would be pointless to let me make the same meal over and over again if he hated it.
Thats not to say that I haven't made the same meal over and over again in the hopes that if he just tries it ONE MORE TIME he'll finally like it. Hardly ever works.
One thing Peter passionately dislikes is Quinoa (which I pronounced Q-noa for about a year). As much as he dislikes it, I'm always trying to find ways to use it, I love it for breakfast, warmed up with berries and nuts. I've never been a huge fan of oatmeal so it's a great replacement.
THIS however is my all time favourite quinoa recipe - and I know it's a winner because the hubs ate an entire bowl, and then asked for seconds! It's really fresh tasting and great for summer, if you like Mexican food or spices you'll like this.
1 cup of quinoa
1/2 Red Pepper
1/4 Red Onion
2 Tbsp Cilantro
1 Garlic Clove
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Teaspoons Dijon
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
1. Wash and let dry about a cup of quinoa. Pour into a large pot over medium heat and let the quinoa toast for about five minutes- or until it becomes fragrant.
2. Pour in 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt and let it simmer until water has evaporated and Quinoa is cooked through.
3. When cooked, lay out on a lined baking sheet and let cool for about 20 minutes.
4. Chop up half of a red pepper (or go nuts and add the whole thing) about 1/4 of a red onion, one-half of a jalapeño and a handful of cilantro and set aside
5. In a bowl combine, the juice of about 2 lemons (4 tbsp) 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
6. When the quinoa is cool, put it in a bowl and toss everything together, refrigerate it for another 20 minutes.
Note - For extra spice make sure you add the jalapeño seeds!
I should probably throw in the disclaimer that a) it is not my recipe, it comes from America's Test Kitchen and b) The ingredient list contains the exact measurements but I usually end up adding or removing things according to my own taste.
Try this out and let me know what you think!