Chocolate is just about my favourite thing ever. Seriously, Breakfast, lunch and dinner – obsessed. So when I found a recipe for easy and quick molten lava cake I had to try it. It changed my world.
This dessert is so easy to pull together and makes you seem like a super fancy chef, little do they know it only took ten minutes to make. I have tried a few variations and this one so far is my favourite. If you like chocolate – make this. Trust me.
Ingredients: Makes 4
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 6 ounces of chocolate (bittersweet, semisweet or dark are all fine) the bricks that are divided into individual squares are easiest.
- ½ cup of whole milk
- ¼ cup of brown sugar (if using bittersweet or dark chocolate add 2 tbsp extra)
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract (vanilla for regular and orange for a fun twist)
- Grease and flour the ramekins, set on baking sheet and set oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients except sugar
- Chop 4 ounces of the chocolate and microwave with milk, stirring every 30 seconds until it is melted and smooth (around 2 minutes)
- Stir in sugar until dissolved, add oil, egg and vanilla and combine fully.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture slowly until fully combined
- Divide batter into ramekins, and tap on the counter to release any air. Take the remaining 2 ounces of chocolate (should be 4 pieces of chocolate) and press 1 piece into the centre of each ramekin, submerge as much as possible.
- Bake until the tops are firm but gooey when poked with a toothpick (13 to 15 minutes).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or serve with raspberries, ice cream or whipped cream!
Now these have a slightly more "cake - like" exterior than typical Molten Lava, but just slightly. They are verrrry rich so it's probably best served after a lighter meal. But they are sure to be a hit!